As a Sidekick, we appreciate that it can be a little tricky to get your hands on some of the shifts on the platform. Once you’ve completed your first shift, your 5-star review (for being outstanding of course) will be seen by future employers, and make it easier to secure a second job. To help get you over that first hurdle, we’ve put together a couple of insider tips. These tips are also fantastic if you are wondering whether or not your profile is still competitive!
A good looking profile
You need a rockstar profile to stand out from the other Sidekicks with similar experience.
- Create an exciting bio summarising your experience and personality. Make them interested in YOU! Think of it as a creative cover letter.
- Don’t leave anything out – the employers can’t see your CV. Keep it short and sweet, but make sure all your experience and skills are summarised under each of the categories. Volunteer work, internships, one-off jobs – add them all!
- Use paragraphs and dot points to make it easy to read.
- Get someone to look over it and make sure your grammar is correct.
- If you need ideas, ask the Sidekicker team for tips – we’re always happy to help; we’ve seen a few profiles in our time.
Application Statement – Sell yourself!
This is your first and best chance of standing out from the other applicants. Summarise why you’d be perfect for this particular shift and highlight your experience and skills in this area. Use references from the job to make it more personal. Keep these on file so you can copy and tailor them for each of category.
Example application statement:
- Don’t give up, keep applying even though you may have not been selected for other shifts.
- Apply for shifts that you feel overqualified for or that seem less attractive (i.e rate, location etc). That way you have an even better chance of getting selected and you will do an amazing job which leads to an amazing review.
- Apply for last minute shifts – Keep an eye on the private Facebook group where we sometime post these jobs. Get in touch with the HQ team if you don’t have the link to this.