From 11:59pm AEST on Wednesday 5 August, workers are required to carry a Worker Permit and photo ID when travelling to and from work within Metropolitan Melbourne.

In this article, we will address everything you need to know about Worker Permits, including what they are, when and how they will be issued, and what to do with yours once it's in your possession.

What is a Worker Permit?

A Worker Permit is a signed document issued by employers, which permits an employee to travel to and from work within Metropolitan Melbourne under stage 4 restrictions.

Sidekicker will issue Worker Permits digitally, allowing you to store a copy on your mobile phone and/or print a copy to carry on your person.

Who needs a Worker Permit?

You need a permit if you are working on-site in Metropolitan Melbourne during stage 4 restrictions.

You do not need a Worker Permit if you are working remotely or if you are working outside of Metropolitan Melbourne.

What does Sidekicker need from me to issue my Worker Permit?

As your employer, Sidekicker is responsible for issuing your Worker Permit.

Once we have issued your Worker Permit, you will receive an email asking you to review and sign the document. This can be done electronically on your smartphone or a desktop, and needs to be completed prior to attending your shift.

Once you have signed the document, you will receive a second email containing your signed Worker Permit, which you will need to carry with you along with photo ID when travelling to and from work.

When will my Worker Permit be issued?

Most Worker Permits are issued by 3pm every Friday for the following Monday to Sunday.

If you are hired on a shift after 3pm Friday, we'll aim to provide you with a new worker permit before your next shift. However, so long as you are carrying the Sidekicker worker permit you do have, even if the shift times do not match, our contact details are available on your work permit for authorities to call us and verify that you are traveling for work.

What if there are incorrect details on my Worker Permit?

If there are discrepancies with your shift start and end times, or you have been hired on a last minute shift that hasn't been included on your Worker permit - this is okay! The Victorian government has taken into consideration that casual employees will be working variable hours and may also pick up unexpected shifts from time to time.

The golden rule is that so long as you are carrying a Worker Permit and photo ID on your person, you can travel to and from work. If needed, authorities will be able to verify your shift details with us over the phone by contacting the number provided on your Worker Permit.

Still have questions?

We understand that these changes may seem a little daunting at first. Remember, we're here to support you in every way that we can, so please don't hesitate to get in touch with us if you have any questions or concerns! As always, our friendly Support Team can be reached via the blue chat bubble.

You can also find more information on Worker Permits here.

Did this answer your question?