We know that sometimes it can be a little tricky to secure shifts on the platform, especially to begin with. We're doing our best to make sure we have just the right amount of Sidekicks on the platform, and we're constantly working on bringing on new clients so we can offer our Sidekicks more shifts.
Once you’ve completed your first shift, your 5-star review (for being outstanding of course) will be seen by future employers, and will make it easier to secure a second job. To help get you over that first hurdle, we’ve put together a couple of insider tips. These tips are also fantastic if you're wondering whether your profile is still competitive!
Application Statement – Sell yourself!
This is your first and best chance of standing out from the other applicants. When we ask clients what matters to them most when selecting an applicant, they all say that the application statement is key.
Summarise why you’d be perfect for this particular shift and highlight your experience and skills in this area. Use references from the job to make it more personal. Don't just use the same application statement for every single job – clients can see straight through that trick!
Here are some helpful tips:
- Length: Write 3-4 sentences on why you would be great for the role.
- Be specific: Read the job description carefully and mention aspects of the job in your application. This could include the type of event being advertised (like a wedding or a sporting event), the skills that they have outlined (requires 3 plate carry or ability to use POS) or any connection you have to the company, brand or product (I have used xx before and love your product). The client wants to see everything they need to know just from reading your application statement.
- Show your personality: If you are applying for an events, promotions or retail role, it’s particularly important to talk about your personality so you standout. Highlight your customer service experience, attention to detail and ability to work in a team.
- You should never include your email address or phone number in your application statement.
Example application statement:
By completing more certificates, you can differentiate yourself from other Sidekicks. You can also increase the pool of jobs you are eligible for. You can find links to relevant inductions in your state here.
Feel free to reach out to our support team using the blue Sidekicker chat bubble if you have any questions about this.
A good looking profile
You'll need a rockstar profile to stand out from the other Sidekicks with similar experience to you.
- Create an exciting bio summarising your experience and personality. Make them interested in YOU! Think of it as a creative cover letter.
- Don’t leave anything out – the employers can’t see your CV. Keep it short and sweet, but make sure all your experience and skills are summarised under each of the categories. Volunteer work, internships, one-off jobs – add them all!
- Use paragraphs and dot points to make it easy to read.
- Get someone to look over it and make sure your grammar is correct.
- If you need ideas, ask the Sidekicker team for tips – we’re always happy to help; we’ve seen a few profiles in our time.
Insider tips and tricks
- Apply for the same job twice: If a job you've previously not been selected for pops up on your dashboard again, you should apply for it. This means that either the client has decided they require another Sidekick, or maybe the Sidekick that was selected has withdrawn. Either way, a significantly lower number of Sidekicks apply for reopened roles, increasing your chances of being successful.
- Keep hustling! Don’t give up, keep applying even though you may have not been selected for other shifts.
- Apply for shifts that may seem less attractive (i.e location) or that require more than 10 Sidekicks. That way you have an even better chance of getting selected and you will do an amazing job which leads to an amazing review.
- Join our Facebook group! Keep an eye on the private Facebook group where we sometime post these jobs. Get in touch with the support team if you would like us to send you another invitation to join the group.
And don't forget, we're always here to help and support you. If there's anything at all you need, don't hesitate to reach out to us via the blue Sidekicker chat bubble.