As a Sidekick, we appreciate that it can be a little tricky to get your hands on some of the shifts on the platform. Once you’ve completed your first shift, your 5-star review (for being outstanding of course) will be seen by future employers, and make it easier to secure a second job. To help get you over that first hurdle, we’ve put together a couple of insider tips. These tips are also fantastic if you are wondering whether or not your profile is still competitive!
A good looking profile
You need a rockstar profile to stand out from the other Sidekicks with similar experience.
- Create an exciting bio summarising your experience and personality. Make them interested in YOU! Think of it as a creative cover letter.
- Don’t leave anything out – the employers can’t see your CV. Keep it short and sweet, but make sure all your experience and skills are summarised under each of the categories. Volunteer work, internships, one-off jobs – add them all!
- Use paragraphs and dot points to make it easy to read.
- Get someone to look over it and make sure your grammar is correct.
- If you need ideas, ask the Sidekicker team for tips – we’re always happy to help; we’ve seen a few profiles in our time.
Application Statement – Sell yourself!
This is your first and best chance of standing out from the other applicants. Summarise why you’d be perfect for this particular shift and highlight your experience and skills in this area. Use references from the job to make it more personal. Keep these on file so you can copy and tailor them for each of category.
- Length: Write 3-4 sentences on why you would be great for the role.
- Be specific: Read the job description carefully and mention aspects of the job in your application. This could include the type of event being advertised (like a wedding or a sporting event), the skills that they have outlined (requires 3 plate carry or ability to use POS) or any connection you have to the company, brand or product (I have used xx before and love your product).
- Show your personality: If you are replying for an events, promotions or retail role, it’s particularly important to talk about your personality so you standout. Highlight your customer service experience, attention to detail and ability to work in a team
Example application statement:
By completing more certificates, you can differentiate yourself from other Sidekicks. You can also increase the pool of jobs you are eligible for. Feel free to reach out to our support team at email@example.com if you are interested in completing more inductions and certificates to add to your profile.
- Don’t give up, keep applying even though you may have not been selected for other shifts.
- Apply for shifts that you may seem less attractive (i.e location) or that require more than 10 Sidekicks. That way you have an even better chance of getting selected and you will do an amazing job which leads to an amazing review.
- Apply for last minute shifts – Keep an eye on the private Facebook group where we sometime post these jobs. Get in touch with the support team if you would like us to send you another invitation to join the group.
- Search by post date: By applying for the newest jobs, you appear at the top of the clients' list of Sidekicks.
- Search by shift date: By applying for last minute shifts, you can often replace Sidekick's that have recently withdrawn.